On the way to Amazonia!!! and a bit of philosophy




This entry was started in Salvador on my last days of my three months in and around there, finished in Recife where I spent a few days staying with a lovely Couchsurfer, on the first leg of a 5000 km coach and boat trip to Manaus in Brazilian Amazonia, and finally published from Fortaleza on the north coast of Brazil....

......

Serendipity and Living the Moment

Last time I sat down to write this, last week, I was reflecting about the importance of wandering with no special purpose....  

As I wrote then.... 

“I've just been reading, here in my airbnb in Salvador, a beautiful photo album book by Pierre Verger, a French anthropologist who's done substantial work charting the African diaspora in Brazil. There are several exhibition centres here in Salvador dedicated to his work and showing his photos.  The first sentence in the book was about how LOOKING is important, and that he takes photos, not at first understanding why he's taking them; the meaning of the photo becomes clearer to him later. (Many apologies for not writing out the quote specifically)    

I didn't quite know why I was coming to Brazil, but someone in my Amazon study group said I didn't need to worry, my 'project' would become clear to me. And I just kind of knew that I had to come here!

So a few weeks back I asked on the telegram group of people who came on the Digital Nomad trip to Brazil if anyone wanted to do a 'commitment buddy checkin' session - where we could review our purpose and our goals with a partner.   A young Portuguese digital nomad said she'd love to do that - we'd had difficulties getting a date, but eventually got together on Monday.  It was great hearing all her goals - but what was interesting for me was what came up when it was my turn, was that I'm learning to let the world provide my experiences each day, that I'm learning to live the joy of a completely empty diary.  And that's what I want to learn from this, and to take home with me. 

This is a completely new experience for me. I have always been really busy. I think since I went home during my first term at Bath University when I was 20 having not slept for two weeks and feeling pretty suicidal, and my mum said 'well, I keep really busy, and it stops me thinking too much', I have carefully kept a full diary, taken on lots of commitments, and been very engaged with lots of things.  And in the UK I would sometimes panic if I had an empty day.   

But since I left the language school a month ago I haven't had any commitments, and each day the world has provided its new thing.... I've looked up something to do, I've reached out to Couchsurfers or other people I know, I've gone out to a show or a gallery or something, and I've been playing Forro music (!!!! see below) I feel I've had a really full experience, completely different to my UK life where I also have a full experience, but it's always been set up weeks or months in advance. 

One thing I’ve found while I've been here is that I know absolutely nothing about African life in Brazil, and I've been reading and learning about this as much as I can - though there's an enormous amount to learn.  I went to the last day of an art exhibition on Sunday about this. It was called 'Um Defeito de Cor' and was at the Museu Nacional da Cultura Afro-Brasileira (Muncab).  Um Defeito de Cor means 'A Colour Defect' and I have just found out that the expression was "the name of an old law that allowed Negroes or mulattos to request that "the color defect be overlooked" when they demonstrated extreme talent, competence or will".  Wow.   And  it comes from an internationally acclaimed novel by Ana Maria Gonçales, that I've just downloaded onto my Kobo (in Portuguese sadly which makes the reading go MUCH slower).     

Finding out about the title just now was just one more thing that I didn't know about when I was at the museum: I spent the whole time thinking that I needed the artists standing next to me, telling me the background to each of the exhibition pieces. There were textiles, photos, found objects, works related to the Orixas, videos, and so much more on two levels. I took some photos but like I said, I needed a guided tour, or long conversations with the artists.  There didn't seem to be a guidebook about this show, except for the novel, so I will definitely have a go at reading it.  I've worked out how to get my screen reader to read in Portuguese, and it's a lot  easier to understand if I'm hearing it out loud too.  Here are the very few pieces that I photographed: 

 






I also photographed lots of the labels (in Portuguese), to study at my leisure.... 

So as I think I've said before, all I'm learning is that the older I get, the less I discover I know.   Last year I did a Kings College London Masters module called 'Language and Global Identity' as a response to realising that indigenous people's ideas  cannot be easily expressed in the languages of the colonisers. I found it absolutely fascinating (though hard work for the 12 weeks!)....if you have nothing better to do you can read  the essay (and the associated poem!) that I wrote on the course, on my linktree. - they were both published, in the end, after a bit of tweaking, in the journal of the International EcoLinguistics Association, a journal, an association, and even a FIELD, that I hadn't even heard of before I did the course.   And now I'm vaguely thinking of maybe doing another module next year to really push my reading and thinking; it's called 'Connecting Cultures, Migration and Immigration, approaches the topic through literature and art, and gives a chance for individual research on a particular site.... "

 

Update,  Recife.

Continuing my writing from last week in Salvador.... ‘Um Defeito do Cor’, may be in Portuguese, but a) she writes really clearly and b) I hate to admit this but I’ve just discovered the Google Translate app, where you can take a picture of your Kobo screen in Portuguese and it translates it into English like a little dream.   Also c) when I do have a go at reading it in Portuguese, which really pays off, it turns out my Kobo has an inbuilt Portuguese/English dictionary!

And the book begins with an incredible introduction, that I would commend to EVERYONE, about synchronicity and serendipity – where the author tells a story about being in exactly the right place at exactly the right time in an almost unbelievable set of circumstances, giving her the potential, the confidence, and an underpinning narrative to use to write this imagined novel.  She quotes Joseph Henry saying: “The seeds of great discoveries are constantly floating around us, but they only take root in minds well-prepared to receive them”.  I’m LOVING these constant reminders to walk around with an open mind free of distractions, (but with my existing knowledge and interests floating around) and I’m absolutely trying to live like this.

A quote from the blog of my former neighbour Rebecca Ellis that arrived today came at this from a different angle.  Thinking about her own work in yoga and body movement, she quotes Jiddu Krishnamurti talking about “Freedom from the Known” and Merlin Sheldrake who draws attention to  “the gulf between what we expect to find, and what we find when we actually look”.    It seems that I’ve had to travel a long way to find who I want to be when I go home.   Which takes me, of course, to Paulo Coelho, who made a fortune from retelling the story about having to travel a long way to find what was just under your nose... “Maybe the journey isn’t so much about becoming anything. Maybe it’s about un-becoming everything that isn’t really you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

It’s now Sunday (Mothers’ Day/Mothering Sunday 10th March, for the record). I left Salvador on Wednesday, and I’m spending a few days here in Recife ... where we can't go and swim in the sea, by the way, because of the SHARKS.

So, on my first morning I went to visit the Jewish museum in the old city.  It’s in a street currently called ‘Rua de Bom Jesus’ – but it definitely had been called Rua dos Judeus in the past. It’s the first synagogue in the whole of South America and there’s a fascinating story of Jews from Spain and Portugal fleeing the Inquisition, being accepted by the Dutch, and then being persecuted again by the Portuguese, so they had to escape to the interior of Brazil, leave the country (around 23 of them went to New York, or New Amsterdam at the time, in 1650, and helped to build the new city) or hide their Jewish practices.   Those who chose to hide their identity, or to convert, lived as ‘New Christians’ but often kept various Jewish practices in secret, and many of their descendants have returned to Judaism.

this is the Jews in the 1700s asking the rabbi whether they should swap the time of year they pray for particular weather, in view of the fact that they live in the southern hemisphere now..... 

and here's a programme from the Yiddish Theatre - really wasn't expecting to see that art form flourishing here, but of course, why not! 

I then whizzed off to the other side of town to see a museum that had looked really interesting when I looked up what Recife had to offer – the Museum of Abolition.  I ignored the negative reviews but in fact, there wasn’t any information specifically about abolition up in the museum – they are revamping their permanent exhibition with no opening date in site.  There were three temporary exhibitions, one of which, on the photography of resistance, with photos hanging in trees – making me think of lynchings of course – I felt was particularly powerful.     








At the time I only had one more day planned in Recife, I’d already been invited out to Olinda the following afternoon, and many of the museums weren’t open on Saturday mornings.  So I whizzed back to the old city in an Uber, and went to the Rolando Toro Afro Brazilian Art Museum  museum, which I’d noticed on the map when I was looking for the Museum of Abolition. 

And found utterly the perfect material for a case study for if I do the Masters module I talked about ....

Wooden sculptures of orixás and African masks  made by an Afro-Brazilian sculptor, Otávio Francisco dos Santos, known as Otávio Bahia, who hadn't really been aware of his African culture and heritage until he was commissioned to make some art for CandomblĂ© houses, but who quickly developed a particular prowess for this kind of art. Like so many before him, he  died before he was properly recognized for his artistic contribution, but the collector Rolando Toro had developed a friendship with the artist and bought many of his pieces, all of which are displayed in a permanent exhibition at the museum, presented in a very effective way with a backdrop of photos of African regal ceremonial occasions – the pomp and ceremony lost by the six million enslaved.people brought to Brazil.  So I made friends with the curator/guide who's also a history student ...and we’re still in touch J  










My hostess invited me to stay for two extra days in Recife, so more later, but for now, return to Salvador and a bit of a musical digression... 


Forro  (pronounced Fo’ Ho’)

I wrote in my last blog that I was going to spend a day with THIS GUY to learn Forro rhythms.  




the first melodeon i'd seen here - but it seems there are lots 


Well I did, I went an hour up the coast to Camacari with a friend from the language school, and while I learned melodeon riffs she learned the triangle..



And as I wrote in my facebook page on the day, ‘Well , one of the things I was hoping for when I set off was to be in a street band for carnival . Well that didn’t happen .BUT I’ve just spent the day learning to play Forro riffs on the melodeon ... and now I’m in the band for the next two Sundays!!! “


The following Sunday when I went back to 'be in the band', there was no sign of Luiz, and instead I spent an hour at lunchtime playing with THIS guy, Chiquinho, who you’ll see plays accordion, not melodeon (or as they say here, samfona) ie with 80 bases instead of 8 bases).  



He's bloody brilliant and once I'd trained him that I could only accompany him if he stuck to G or D keys, we got on really well musically. 

It was a birthday party, there were six bands, and we were the last to go on – it was fine apart from when our singer started singing, at which point I stopped being able to hear the tune!




The second Sunday was a political rally, with free beer and food and lots of speeches in between the tunes.  I played for the first hour and then gave up my place to another accordion player who actually knew the tunes properly, but I had had a VERY nice time 



– I went with Josh, another student from the language school, who acted as photographer (and beer taster!)



And now I’ve been invited back to be in the band during the Sao Joao festivities in June.... I’m not sure if that’s going to work out with my travel plan now. We will see! 

---

 

Just before I left Salvador I went off to Cachoeira for a couple of nights. It’s a beautiful little town two and a half hours away from Salvador, which has very strong candomble traditions and a quilombola community nearby. It has a big artistic community.... and I would have known none of this if I hadn’t put a quick question on a Brazil Travel community facebook group a few days before I set off, and Sayuri answered and put me in touch with a friend of hers.  Sayuri is a fab guide who took Jen and me and a few of the Digital Nomads I arrived in Brazil with, on an Afro Brazil tour of Pelourinho in December.  Her friend is an artist in Cachoeira and doesn't really do guiding any more, but he was happy to take me round: he met me from the bus and took me to my (beautiful) pousada (in the old convent)... he introduced me to Terreiros and Artists and Galleries and Cafes (an extraordinary amount of which seemed to be showing his art), he introduced me to a lovely hairdresser for a really good £2.50 dry haircut...


woodcut in my hotel - the old Convent

my new haircut and my hairdresser



Brazil's Florence Nightingale


i have bought this woodcut as a print - and it turn out that THIS guy , the artist, is a friend of Artur Soar from Lencois! 

printing materials

Memorial da Irmandade de Nossa Senhora da Boa Morte .





my print! 

the tobacco museum and factory  - they are very into big hardwood tables here!  This is Jacquera wood, from a FALLEN TREE not a cut down one, they told me

collection of matchboxes at the tobacco factory

making cigars

 more making cigars

the museum of film 







my wonderful guide Davi with some of his art

decolonial breakfast




african masks made by...

...THIS guy


Hansen foundation - engravings of slave ships


Hansen had come to Brazil from Germany, traumatised after the second world war, who was taught engraving as a therapy to get over his trauma, and ended up becoming a world renounced artist, teaching many others the skills to get over their own traumas.  He related deeply to the enslavement experience which was such a deep trauma for the Brazilian black community

Davi having an interview at the Hansen foundation


And I just wanted to say what an amazingly good idea it was to have a local person when you arrive in a strange town.  If it hadn’t been for him I’d presumably have hung out in some coffee shops and gone to a few museums – this way was so much richer.   



And THAT is why I chose to stay with someone from the wonderful international Couchsurfing community in Recife (and why I’ll be staying with someone from another international hosting community, SERVAS, in Fortaleza).... yes you give up a bit of independence,  but if you’re lucky (and I absolutely was this week) you get to make a new friend and spend real time in a city with a local who will suggest where you ought to go, and might even go with you to some of the places – as the wonderful Christianne actually did.  Here we are together in Olinda with the gorgeous view of the bay behind us.  



I’ve been putting the finishing touches to this newsletter in the restaurant of the Francisco  Brennand Ceramic Institute, another place Christianne recommended.  It’s the strangest place – a sprawling  sculpture park and garden, with seven or eight enormous buildings, and two or three formal courtyards, most of which are dedicated to the very distinctive sculpture and tile art of Francisco Brennand, and two spaces dedicated to looking at the origins of the space the park is using.  One of these includes interviews, information panels  and art works relating to other communities – Indigenous, Quilombola – which had been based at the site before the Brennand family owned it... and the other is currently dedicated to an enormous installation of a cobra, by Ernesto Neto, called CapiDançaBaribĂ©Nois.   Reminding me of shedboatshed, by Simon Starling in 2005 when he dismantled a shed, turned it into a boat to transport it a few miles downstream and then turned it back into a shed, this 47 metre long tubular crocheted sculpture was ceremonially danced along the Capibaribe river as part of its installation ceremony.... the snake itself was surrounded by hanging drums (I couldn’t resist the urge to beat one, with the sticks left temptingly on the top of the skin  - I only realised later that there WAS a curator in the otherwise deserted building, but maybe the viewer is actually meant to participate by drumming? Certainly they didn’t run to stop me.... )...  the building itself was decorated with more wall art inside and out, relating to the environment and the local animal and bird life. 








the 45 meter long hanging snake, front end on so you can't see it, oops












And the restaurant was the first place I’ve been to in the whole of Brazil where not only the manager but also the waiter told me that yes, they knew I’d ordered such and such, but the chef has made this absolutely delicious fish dish, and would I like that instead... and same again, suggesting that rather than whatever I’d ordered I would actually prefer the highly recommended banana and cheese (!) pudding.  Which were indeed both delicious.  HIGHLY recommended - I think the best meal I've eaten in Brazil so far. 




The local Jewish community took me in, as they had in Salvador (you can travel thousands of miles, but still feel like you’re with family in a Shabbat service....).

Next leg, a 14 hour bus trip to Fortaleza 

A 20 hour bus trip to Sao Luis

And then down to Brazilian Amazonia (buses to Altamira and Santarem, and a 3 or 4 day boat to Manaus).  Amazonia starts with the city of Belem, which is to be the host of COP30 next year.  I’m very interested to see what that place feels like, having hung out at COP26 in Glasgow .

 

Please join my whatsapp group to get day by day updates, the link is here.... https://chat.whatsapp.com/IAilrufbWa91GyEIDBrE6x


and to finish, here's me on the bowsprit of a little day out to the island of Frades just before I left Salvador, with a lovely Couchsurfer Anisio who took the pic


lots of love 

Fiona 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And I'm on my way!

A Year Away without leaving the ground no 4.... Tenerife to Salvador de Bahia Brazil - including my Story Telling debut (a long and sad love story that got a standing ovation)

A week on the rocks